|You're in: IVT / PHOTO TOUR / ISLANDS OF THE LAGOON / MAZZORBO|
In the late Medieval was called Maiurbium (Magna Urbs, major city). It was founded by the inhabitants of Altino fled since the invasion of the Longobards (640 AD), the same people who also founded Torcello, already a rich commercial emporium of Altino in late antiquity. Even Mazzorbo could enjoy economic privileges of the trade flow of Torcello being for a long time a center of the north lagoon.
The economic decline began around the year 1000 when it started the commercial supremacy of Rialto in Venice. Mazzorbo then became an important religious center housing five monasteries: San Maffia, Eufemia, Santa Maria delle Grazie, Santa Maria Valverde and St. Catherine, and five churches (San Bartolomeo, San Angelo, San Pietro, Santo Stefano and Santi Cosma and Damian. But being the education of young patricians, future rulers of the Serenissima, entrusted to the monastic schools before the birth of Universities (XIII century) Mazzorbo kept also an important political role in the scenario of the lagoon for a few centuries.
Monasteries present in the past no one remains today while there's only one chrch: St. Catherine's church, built between 1283 and 1291. It preserves the oldest bell in the lagoon (1318).
To get to Mazzorbo is necessary to take the boat to Burano at the stop Fondamenta Nove of Venice. From Burano, crossing the Ponte Longo, one arrives at Mazzorbo.
IN VENICE TODAY 1999
All Rights Reserved
via Murri 31/7 Mestre - Venice
Hosted by IVT