Crevan is a few hundred meters from the northern edge of the island of S.
Erasmo in that part of the lagoon where there are also the islands of
Torcello, Burano and
Mazzorbo. The island has an area of half a hectare
and is currently privately owned.
Crevan remained uninhabited until the nineteenth century when, under the
military protection project of the lagoon realized by the Austrians, it
was established a small military garrison housed in a fort (1820). The military
use ceased in the twentieth century when the island was bought by privates
who undertaken to do a restoration of the fort.
The island belonged to the Panto family and is currently for sale.
In the Island is a "trabaccolo" launched in 1898 that is visible
from the lagoon.
IN VENICE TODAY 1999
All Rights Reserved
via Murri 31/7 Mestre - Venice
Hosted by IVT