|You're in: IVT / PHOTO TOUR / ISLANDS OF THE LAGOON / CERTOSA|
The island of the Certosa is located a few hundred meters east of Venice and is separated from the Vignole island through a channel twenty yards wide. It has an area of 22 hectares and is characterized by a rich and varied vegetation including native and allochthonous trees and shrubs.
The Certosa was for long time divided by a canal later covered in 1199 during the remediation work performed for the building of a monastery of Augustine. The monks stayed on the island until the early fifteenth century (1419) and then came the Carthusian Florentines monks who restored old buildings and build new ones, including a church that was enriched by works of art by masters operating in this period. The monks remained on the island until 1806, when Napoleon's edict sanctioned the closure of many religious congregations and Certosa became a military garrison losing in a few days the works of art housed.
After the unification of Italy (1866) the island of the Certosa was given to the Army that staged a factory for explosives and then a shooting range remained active until the end of the 50s of the twentieth century. Later the island was abandoned and became a place of neglect and decline until the 80s when there arose a committee of citizens who devoted himself to the environmental recovery of the Certosa by organizing an annual Certosa Day.
After a few years came the first funds of the European Union and of the Italian State for an environmental and architectural restoration of the Certosa to reallocat it in the sail sector.
Since 2004, the complex of warehouses was assigned to the company that has made Vento di Venezia Certosa the dock by another nautical pole of the Venice Lagoon.
Certosa is linked to Venice by public transport service: Line 42 and 41 (boat stop on demand).
IN VENICE TODAY 1999
All Rights Reserved
via Murri 31/7 Mestre - Venice
Hosted by IVT